Tapioca is not a fruit, per se. In fact, it is a white, starch-like ingredient used in a variety of foods. When mixed with hot water, tapioca forms a milky liquid or paste similar to the consistency of pudding. In the US, tapioca is used in a wide variety of foods, including some desserts, candies, sauces and beverages. Tapioca is also used as a thickener in many Asian sauces and soups, as well as baking recipes such as pudding and bread pudding.
Like many tea drinkers, I love bubble tea at this time of year. So why not create a smoothie that will let me enjoy my favorite summer drink in the winter? Once I found out that tapioca pearls had the same look and consistency as bubble tea pearls in an ice cream cone, I knew it would be the perfect base for this smoothie.
Tapioca (also known as tapioca pearls) are made from starch extracted from the stem of a tropical plant. The starch is then processed into a pale yellow viscous liquid and is also known as tapioca starch, pearl starch, or starch syrup.
In Asia, the tapioca smoothie or bubble tea recipe is extremely popular. In the United States, bubble tea is made with black tea, so I figured that since the recipe asks for tea, why not create a smoothie with tapioca and leave out the tea? Tapioca pearls come in a variety of colors, so choose what you prefer. Tapioca Pearl may also be made with chocolate or strawberry milk.
For the recipe for bubble tea,
|1 cup pearl tapioca|
|1/2 cup cooked tapioca pearls of any color|
|1 quart milk (or soy milk)|
|1 cup tea (black)|
|Sugar and other sweeteners are examples of sweeteners.|
Tapioca Smoothie or Bubble Tea Recipe Directions
- Cooking tapioca takes a long time; in a medium saucepan, bring 5 cups of water to a boil, then add 1 cup of tapioca.
- Boil tapioca for 30 minutes over medium heat, then turn off the heat and cover while it is still hot and steaming for another 30 minutes to ensure the tapioca is fully cooked.
- You may boil Tapioca for longer than 30 minutes until it becomes clear and no longer has a white interior (this is the best method). If the water evaporates, add additional water. After it’s finished, rinse the cooked tapioca under cold running water and put it aside.
- Take what you need and store the remainder in the fridge for later use (don’t keep it in the fridge for too long or it will clump together like jelly; if it sticks together, rinse it under cold running water to separate it).
- Place the tapioca in a large glass and leave it aside to prepare the tea.
- Mix the remaining milk and tea with some sweeteners in a separate dish or glass, then pour into the tapioca glass with ice.
To make the smoothies,
|1 gallon of milk|
|5 tbsp orange juice concentrate (frozen)|
|malted milk powder (three tablespoons)|
|Ice cubes or crushed ice (to be added later before serving)|
|You may use 1 to 2 packages of sweeteners.|
|In a large glass, combine 1/3 to 1/2 cup cooked tapioca pearls.|
How to Make a Banana Smoothie
- Blend bananas, milk, frozen orange, powder milk, and sweetener until smooth in a blender.
- Serve chilled in a tapioca glass with crushed ice.
- Blend everything until smooth, then pour into a tapioca glass and serve chilled.
Thank you, and have fun with it.
Cambodian Homemade Salty Eggs Recipe is a related recipe.
daily value in percent
97 percent total carbohydrate 267.7g
Cholesterol (52 mg): 17%
15.6 grams of total fat (20%)
8.7 grams of saturated fat (44 percent)
8.5 grams of dietary fiber (30%)
46 percent protein, 23.2 g
Sodium 331mg (14% sodium)
219 percent sugars 109.5 g
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will get an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Recently, I’ve become a huge fan of bubble tea. It’s a sweet drink made from brewed tea, sugar, milk or cream, and tapioca pearls. It comes in a variety of flavors, but the most popular is usually green tea. They come in different sizes, but some of the most popular include small, medium, and large. Now that summer is coming to an end, I thought it was time to make a little tapioca smoothie. I’m going to walk you through the process of making a tasty drink that is perfect for the warm days of summer.. Read more about strawberry bubble tea recipe and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is bubble tea and tapioca the same thing?
Bubble tea is a type of Asian-style milk tea that has tapioca pearls in it. Tapioca is a starch extracted from the cassava root, which is used to thicken and sweeten drinks such as bubble tea.
Is tapioca or popping boba better?
Tapioca is a type of starch that comes from the cassava root. Popping boba is a type of drink made with tapioca pearls and milk tea.
Is the tapioca in bubble tea healthy?
The tapioca in bubble tea is not healthy. Its a type of starch that is high in calories and carbohydrates.