This recipe is a great way to enjoy the flavors of summer with a healthy twist.
The clams and mussels in garlic butter sauce is a dish that is easy to make and can be served as an entrée or a main course. It is also very versatile and can be made with different types of seafood.
- 14 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 leaf of bay
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 cup white wine (dry)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes with liquids (28 oz.)
- 24 tiny littleneck clams (total weight: 212 pounds), cleaned
- 24 debearded mussels (about 12 pounds total)
- 20 big peeled, deveined, and butterflied shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 12 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- To serve, warm crusty bread
This dish was inspired by the clam and mussel soups that are popular around the coasts of Naples and the surrounding areas. I added shrimp for extra meatiness and dried crushed red pepper flakes since I prefer it hot, but they’re not required. Â If you’re going to serve this, make sure you have lots of crusty bread on hand since the broth is incredible to sop up.
- Heat the oil in a large, wide saucepan over a medium temperature.
- Sauté the garlic, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes for approximately 1 minute, or until the garlic is soft. Bring to a boil with the wine. Add the tomatoes and their juices and cook, stirring often, for approximately 8 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to break down and the flavors combine. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes after adding the clams. Stir in the mussels, then cover and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the clams and mussels open.
- Transfer the opened shellfish to serving dishes using tongs (discard any shellfish that do not open). Add the shrimp to the boiling tomato stock and cook for 12 minutes, or until the shrimp are just cooked through.
- Add the basil and mix well. Remove the bay leaf from the dish. Serve the heated bread with the shrimp and tomato soup in the dishes.
- The key to this recipe is to avoid overcooking the shellfish, which would result in it becoming rubbery.
The shrimp and clams in white wine sauce is a great example of how to make a flavorful seafood dish. This recipe calls for mussels, clams, and shrimp.
- shrimp and clams in garlic butter sauce
- mussels and shrimp in tomato sauce
- shrimp and mussels in garlic butter sauce
- mussels and clams in red sauce
- mussels and clams in white wine broth