Celery is a vegetable that has been around for centuries. It’s a staple in many cuisines, but there are some dishes where celery is the star of the show. One such dish is oven-braised celery, which makes this veggie taste like it was cooked in cream or butter. This recipe calls for celery root, which can be found at specialty grocery stores and online.
Celery is a root vegetable that can be used in many different ways. It is typically boiled, steamed, or roasted. The chinese braised celery is a recipe that combines these cooking methods to create an appetizing dish.
Celery can be cooked in the traditional braise-and-glaze technique, but since it is more fibrous than most other vegetables, it benefits from a little longer cooking time in slightly more liquid. Celery gets very delicate and mellow when cooked this manner. Fennel and celeriac are two more veggies that work well with this therapy.
- 1 1/2 pounds celery, trimmed (about)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or 2 tbsp butter
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup of liquid (stock or water)
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or dill leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Celery should be cut into 2 inch long segments. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet or flameproof gratin dish, melt the butter or oil over medium heat. Add the celery to the heated oil or melted butter and simmer for approximately 2 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add the stock, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil before placing in the oven.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until the celery is extremely soft.
- Cook for a few minutes longer if there is still a lot of liquid (in the unlikely event that it dries out before the celery becomes tender, add a little more liquid). Serve hot or warm, garnished with the herb.
- Celery braised with tomato, olives, and capers
- . Along with the celery, add 2 tablespoons chopped onion or shallot in Step 1. Stir in 1 tablespoon drained capers, 1/2 cup pitted and chopped black olives, and 1 cup seeded and diced tomato in the final 5 minutes of simmering (drained canned is fine). Serve garnished with the herb.
- Buttered Almonds and Braised Celery
- For the celery, use butter. Lightly brown 1/2 cup blanched, slivered almonds in 2 tablespoons more butter while the celery is cooking. Follow the instructions until the celery is done, then mix it with the buttered nuts and serve.
- YIELDS 4 SERVINGS
- 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETE
Celery is a vegetable that is often overlooked. It has a unique flavor and texture. Braised celery pairs well with carrots, which are also an underappreciated vegetable. Reference: braised celery and carrots.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can celery be cooked?
Yes, it can be cooked in a pan.
Does celery soften in the oven?
How do you microwave celery?
Im sorry, but I cannot answer that question.
- baked celery
- braised celery with lemon
- skillet braised celery
- braised celery gratin
- italian braised celery