These sweet and savory buns are a popular breakfast food in China, where they’re called “cream pan.” The dough is usually made with flour, eggs, sugar, baking powder, butter, milk and water.
The custard buns recipe is a traditional Chinese dessert that can be made with bread dough, flour, milk, sugar and eggs.
A sweet bread roll filled with custard cream is known as a Cream Pan. It was one of my favorites as a child, and it remains one of my favorites now. I’m sure you’ll like it once you try it.
Dough for bread:
- 150g flour for bread
- 12 g of sugar
- 2 g salt
- 6 g powdered nonfat dry milk
- 75 g of water
- 2 g yeast, dry
- 18 g egg, whole
- 15 g butter (unsalted) (room temperature)
- Egg wash
- 15 g egg (boiled) + 1/2 tsp water
Custard Cream with Vanilla Extract:
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 30 g sugar granules
- Cornstarch, 18 g
- 180 g of milk
- extract of vanilla
Custard is made in the following way: ( Microwave )
- In a heat-proof bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until thoroughly combined, then cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 1 minute on medium power (about 600W). Mix well, then cook for another 1.5 minutes on medium power, mixing thoroughly.
- Finally, stir in the vanilla extract.
- Transfer to a jar and set aside to cool. (Wrap the surface in plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out, pushing gently on the plastic to ensure it is firmly wrapped.)
- Once it has cooled, put it in the refrigerator.
Make the dough for the bread:
- Combine the water and the dried yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the dry ingredients ()and stir them together.
- Mix in 1 and a whole egg.
- Knead it out on the table. (10mins)
- Knead in the remaining butter. (5mins)
- Make it spherical, then put it in a warm location until it doubles in size. (first-stage fermentation)
- Make 8 rounds out of it by dividing it into 8 parts.
- Cover with a damp towel and let aside for 15 minutes. (Working time on the bench)
- Deflate them with your hand and make them spherical once they’ve rested.
- Place the buns on baking paper on a baking pan and keep them heated until they have doubled in size. (additional fermentation)
- Apply an egg wash to the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and bake for 10-12 minutes at 374°F/190°C.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the Custard Cream well in a mixing basin.
- Fill a pastry bag with the cream using a tiny round tip.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe the cream into the bread rolls.
For spring and fall, the ideal water temperature for the dough is about 30°C. Summer temperatures are about 10°C, while winter temperatures are at 40-45°C.
The baking time may vary depending on your oven, so be sure you adjust appropriately. When allowing the dough to rise or rest, be cautious not to let it to dry out. When the dough becomes too wet and sticky, dust it with a little flour.
The baked custard bun dim sum is a popular type of pastry that can be found in many Chinese restaurants.
- japanese custard bun recipe
- baked custard bun recipe
- chinese custard bun baked
- vanilla custard cream buns without oven
- vanilla custard buns