This is the most popular chicken korma recipe. It is a richly spiced curry made with ground chicken, onions, garlic, ginger and tomatoes.
The easy chicken korma recipe with coconut milk is an easy recipe to make chicken korma, which is a traditional Indian dish. This curry is made with onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, and tomato paste.
One of the most famous chicken korma curry recipes in India is marinated birds gently cooked in korma sauce. This traditional Indian chicken korma curry dish, also known as shahi chicken korma or white chicken korma in India, is prepared with onion, yogurt, almonds, and a variety of fragrant spices. You will learn how to prepare chicken korma in this article.
Because of India’s geographical variety, several chicken korma recipes exist, such as Hyderabadi chicken korma, Lucknowi chicken korma, Nilgiri chicken korma, and so on. As a result, ingredients may vary.
Note: If you’re in a hurry, you may verify your chosen subject by clicking on the following links. Continue reading if you want to see our step-by-step recipe preparation.
What exactly is a chicken korma?
Chicken korma is a mildly spicy chicken curry dish in which chicken is cooked in a korma sauce consisting of fried onions, nuts, curd, and spices such as red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder.
You may also have a look at
What is the origin of korma chicken?
This chicken korma curry dish is said to have originated during the Mughal period on the Indian subcontinent. As a result, it’s also known as Mughlai chicken korma.
What’s the greatest side dish with chicken korma curry?
The finest complementing Indian meals are chicken korma and rice, which everyone desires in their dining room. Garlic butter naan, roti, and paratha work great with it.
How to prepare a traditional Indian chicken korma
- Marination: In order to create an authentic Indian chicken korma dish, marination is essential. This ensures that your chicken pieces are moist and tasty.
- I use bone-in chicken since traditional shahi chicken korma is usually prepared using bone-in chicken. You may use it if you like boneless, it’s all up to you.
- Spices: Because this korma dish is a little more nutty and less spicy than most other Indian chicken recipes, any spices you use should be from a well-known brand.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy
What’s the best way to prepare chicken korma?
To make an authentic Indian chicken korma, you’ll need to follow two simple steps.
The first is a recipe for marination for chicken korma with Indian spices.
The second is how to make korma sauce, and the third is how to make chicken korma curry.
So, let’s get started.
Recipe for chicken korma marinade
1. In a large mixing basin, marinate Bone-in chicken, 500 g for the chicken korma dish.
2. Season with 12 tsp black pepper powder and 12 tsp salt.
3. Add 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder and 1/6 tsp turmeric powder to the mixture.
4. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon garam masala on top.
5. Add 3 tbsp thick yogurt or curd, not sour yogurt or curd.
6. Toss the chicken with 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and 1 tablespoon of oil.
7. Combine all of the ingredients with the chicken.
8. To make soft and juicy chicken korma curry, place marinated chicken in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes.
Recipe for korma sauce
1. In a skillet, heat 5–6 tbsp. oil and distribute it evenly to make the korma sauce recipe.
2. Next, add 3 to 4 medium sliced onions and cook over medium heat until they are slightly golden brown.
Note that, unlike biryani recipes, we don’t require the rice to be fully brown.
3.Add 8 to 10 chopped cashew nuts and 10 to 12 almonds, choppeds when onions are somewhat brown.
4. Continue to sauté for another 2 minutes.
5. Stir in 3 tablespoons of curd.
6. Add a little water as well.
7. Add 2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder to the pan and cook for another minute.
8. Finally, switch off the gas and allow the mixture to cool for a while.
9. Finally, combine all of the ingredients in a blender.
10. To create a smooth korma sauce for shahi chicken korma gravy, add a little water.
Curry with chicken korma
1. To make the chicken korma curry, add 5 to 6 tablespoons of oil into a skillet and distribute it evenly over medium heat.
2. Next, add 1 bay leaf, 4 cardamom pods (green)s, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, and 2 vertically sliced green chile to the korma.
3. Cook for 1 minute over medium heat.
4. Then, in this Kadai, combine marinated chicken pieces.
5. Cook the birds for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat.
6. Finally, add the smooth shahi korma paste.
7. In a medium flame, stir in the chicken pieces for another 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Pour some water on top of it.
9. season with 1 tsp salt
1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1
11. Finally, 1/6 teaspoon turmeric powder is added.
12. Stir in all of the spices for another 2 to 3 minutes in this genuine Indian chicken korma stew.
13. Remove the lid from the pan and continue to cook the chicken korma curry until the birds are cooked and juicy. Finally, add chopped coriander leaves to the chicken kurma and serve immediately with chicken biryani, egg biryani, and garlic naan.
Recipe Card for Chicken Korma
Here’s a short rundown of all the chicken korma curry components, as well as a step-by-step guide to making the chicken korma dish in the recipe card.
Make a mental note of all of the ingredient listings.
30 minute prep time
45 minutes to prepare
15 minutes of extra time
1 hour and 30 minutes total
Ingredients for Chicken Korma Marination
- 500 gm bone-in chicken
- 1 teaspoon powdered black pepper
- a half teaspoon of salt
- 2 tsp red chili powder from Kashmir
- a half teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp hanging curd or thick yogurt
- 1 tbsp garlic-ginger paste
Chicken Korma Sauce Ingredients
- 5–6 tbsp. oil
- 3 big onions, sliced
- 12 to 15 cashew nuts, chopped
- 10 to 12 chopped almond
- 4 tablespoons curd
- 100 mL water
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder from Kashmir
Ingredients for Chicken Korma
- 5 to 6 tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf (or tej patta) of medium size
- 3–4 garlic cloves
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 to 3 green chilies, sliced
- garam masala powder, 2 tsp
- as needed salt
- 2 teaspoon powdered coriander
- 2 tsp red chili powder from Kashmir
- a half teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Water (250-300 mL) for gravy
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped [optional]
What is the best way to prepare chicken korma curry?
- In a large mixing basin, place 500 gm bone-in chicken for marination chicken korma.
- Add the black pepper powder, salt, Kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder after that.
- Add a tablespoon of oil, thick yogurt or hung curd, and ginger-garlic paste to the mix.
- Now combine all of the ingredients and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 to 45 minutes.
- To make a smooth korma sauce, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Then add the onion slices and cook until they are slightly golden brown.
- After that, add the cashew nuts and almonds and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add a couple tablespoons of curd, a tablespoon of water, and a teaspoon of kashmiri red chili powder to this mixture and cook for another minute.
- Finally, turn off the heat and let the nut onion combination to cool for a few minutes.
- Then, in a blender, puree the ingredients to create a smooth nut-onion paste for chicken korma.
- Pour oil into a pan and distribute it evenly over medium heat to make genuine Indian chicken korma curry.
- Then add some whole spices, such as bay leaf, green cardamom, cinnamon, clove, and green chile, and sauté for a minute over medium heat.
- Then add the marinated chicken and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat before adding the korma sauce and mixing it in with the chicken pieces.
- Pour in some water, salt, Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, and turmeric powder after that. Toss everything together.
- Cover the pan with a lid and continue to boil the chicken korma curry until the birds are cooked.
- Finally, add chopped coriander leaves to the chicken kurma and serve immediately with chicken biryani, egg biryani, or garlic naan.
Notes on the Chicken Korma Recipe
- Because this korma recipe calls for curd, only use sweet thick curd.
Information on nutrition
Size of the Serving
Calories 344 per serving 3 Amount Per Serving 31g total fat 2g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 27g of unsaturated fat 11mg Cholesterol 277mg sodium 15 g Carbohydrates 2 g fiber 2 g sugar 3 g protein
Disclaimer: The data shown is based on an estimate from an online nutrition calculator. It should not be used as a replacement for the advise of a qualified nutritionist.
Jamie Oliver’s chicken korma recipe is a popular dish in India. It is a creamy, flavorful curry that is made with yogurt, cashews and spices. Reference: jamie oliver chicken korma recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between chicken korma and chicken curry?
Chicken korma is a dish that originated in the Middle East. It is made with yogurt, almonds, and spices like cumin and coriander. Chicken curry on the other hand is a dish that originated in India. It is made with coconut milk, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, turmeric, cumin, coriander and more spices like cardamom and cinnamon.
What is korma sauce made of?
Korma sauce is a type of curry sauce, traditionally made from a blend of yogurt, spices and herbs.
What is the best korma sauce?
The best korma sauce is a sweet and sour curry sauce made with yogurt, spices, and lemon juice.
- authentic chicken korma recipe
- creamy chicken korma recipe
- pakistani chicken korma recipe
- hyderabadi chicken korma recipe
- korma sauce recipe