Bhel puri is a popular street food from the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is a spicy, crispy snack made with puffed rice and potatoes, flavored with tamarind chutney and chaat masala.
Bhel puri is a popular Indian dish. It is made with puffed rice, vegetables, tamarind chutney, and spices. Read more in detail here: dry bhel puri recipe.
Bombay bhel recipe or bhel puri chaat in Mumbai is a combination of puffed rice, freshly chopped veggies, fried peanut, sev and tamarind chutney, green chutney, red chutney flavor with a few Indian spices. You will learn how to make bhel puri in this article.
Though there are many bhel puri recipes accessible by just changing the basic components, this is a very simple bhel puri recipe that can be produced in about 10 minutes provided you have previously prepared the bhel puri chutney, paprika, and peanuts.
Note: If you’re in a hurry, you may verify your chosen subject by clicking on the following links. Continue reading if you want to see our step-by-step recipe preparation.
What exactly is bhel puri?
Puffed rice, chopped onions, tomatoes, green chiles, chutneys, and chopped coriander leaves, sev, and papries make up Bhel Puri, India’s most delectable street dish.
What should I serve with Bombay Bhel?
Serve immediately with paprika, sev, and coriander leaves on top, otherwise the bombay bhel will get mushy and lose its flavor.
|Here are some mouthwatering chaat recipes.
What’s the difference between the wet and dry bhel puri recipes?
In India, there are two types of bhel puri: dry bhel puri, also known as “sukha bhel,” and wet bhel puri, also known as “geela bhel.”
Though both of these recipes utilize the same components, the usage of chutneys is the major distinction.
To create “dry bhel puri,” just follow all of the above recipes except for the “chutneys” section, which does not need “wet bhel puri.”
Tips for achieving street style chaat bhel puri
- Crispy Murmura: To obtain the best results from the bhel puri, make sure to use fresh puffed rice that is crisp enough; if not, dry roast for 3 to 4 minutes on low heat to crisp them up.
- Use of Chutney: You may prepare all of the bhel puri chutney ahead of time and keep it in an airtight jar. When using chutney, start with a little quantity and add more if needed since too much chutney makes your bhel puri mushy.
- Additional Ingredients: When constructing bhel puri chaat, you may add fried peanuts, crumbled papri, sev, and cooked chickpeas if desired.
- Secret Flavour: To replicate the flavor of street-style bhel puri, combine chaat masala powder with roasted cumin powder.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy
What is the best way to make bhel puri?
The whole Bombay bhel recipe is divided into four easy sections below. The first is the fundamental bhel puri preparation.
The second is a hot red chutney for bhel puris, while the third is a sweet tamarind chutney for bhel puris.
The fourth is preparing a spicy green chutney for bhel puri, and the fifth is preparing bhel puri chaat.
So, let’s get started.
The bhel puri is being prepared.
1.First, we boil 2 to 3 medium-sized potatoes and cut them for the bhel puri dish.
2.Now finely chop 100 grams onions, 2 medium tomatoes, 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, and 1 tablespoon green chile.
3. 50 grams of peanuts were also fried.
When constructing bhel puris, use 4.6 to 8 papries.
5.Reserve 50 grams of bhujia for later use.
Chutney for bhel puris
To create street style bhel puri at home, you’ll need to make three chutney recipes for bhel puri: hot and spicy red chutney, sweet and sour tamarind chutney, and green chutney.
I’ve included step-by-step instructions on how to create these chutney recipes at home.
Bhel puri with red chutney
1. Soak 8 to 10 dried red chile in warm water for preparing hot and spicy red chutney for bhel puri dish.
2. In a blender, combine the soaking red chile, 4–5 garlic clovess, and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
3. Mix in 50 mL water, 1/2 teaspoon black salt, and 1/2 teaspoon white salt.
4.Finally, put away this hot and spicy red chutney for subsequent use with bhel puri.
Bhel puri with green chutney
1. In a blender, combine 200 grams fresh coriander leaves, 50 grams pudina leaves, 2 to 3 chopped green chillies, and 3 tablespoons chopped onions if used to make green chutney for bhel puri.
2.Add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic, 1 tablespoon cumin seed, 1/2 tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder), a sprinkle of salt, and a splash of water.
3.After that, combine everything.
4.If more water is needed, combine a little quantity of the mix with it, making sure the chutney does not become runny, and put away this green chutney for later use.
Bhel puri with tamarind chutney
1.To make sweet tamarind chutney for bhel puri, place tamarind (60 grams) in a dish with a splash of warm water, gently squeeze each tamarind skin, and remove the seeds.
2.Then strain it through a strainer into a separate dish, keeping the smooth tamarind mixture.
3.Add 100 mL water, 100 g jaggery, and salt to taste to the tamarind mixture.
4.Then add 1 tsp chile powder (red), 1 teaspoon powdered coriander, and a teaspoon of cumin powder.
5. Finally, thoroughly combine all of the ingredients and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened somewhat. Check the tamarind chutney’s flavor, and if necessary, add more jaggery and cook for a while.
How to make bhel puri
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine puffed rice or murmura, chopped boil potatoes, and onions to make the bhel puri dish.
2. Toss in the chopped green chile, tomatoes, and coriander leaves, and mix well.
3. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sweet tamarind chutney.
4. Add 1 tbsp green chutney as well.
5.Add 1 tablespoon of host and 1 tablespoon of spicy red chutney.
6.Add 6 to 7 fried paprikas, 3 tablespoons fried peanuts, 2 teaspoons chaat masala, 1 teaspoon black salt, and 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder.
7.Finally, combine them, adding additional chutney if necessary, but not too much as it may lose the crispiness of the bhel puri. Serve this delectable bhel puri chaat right away as an evening snack.
Recipe Card for Bombay Bhel
Here’s a short rundown of all the bhel puri components, as well as a step-by-step guide to making the bomaby bhel dish from the recipe card.
Make a mental note of all of the ingredient listings.
35-minute prep time
Time to cook: 20 minutes
5 minutes of extra time
1 hour in total
Ingredients for Bhel Puri
- Puffed Rice [Murmura] 250-300 g
- 100 g onions, chopped
- 2 medium-sized cooked potatoes, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped [deseeded]
- 1 tablespoon green chili, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 50g sev (or bhujia)
- fried peanuts, 25 to 50 grams
- Optional: 25 to 50 grams masala channa
- 6–8 papri [optional] for decorating
- 2 tsp salt (black)
- a teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
Bhel Puri with Red Chutney
- 8–10 dried red chilies (soaked in water)
- 4 to 5 garlic piece
- 12 teaspoons of white salt
- a half teaspoon of black salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 50 ml water
Bhel Puri Green Chutney
- 200 grams coriander leaves, fresh
- Pudina leaves, 50 grams
- 1 tbsp [chopped] ginger-garlic
- 2–3 green chilies, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 12 teaspoon powdered amchur
- 3 tbsp onions, chopped [optional]
- season with salt to taste
- a splash of water [more water if needed]
Bhel Puri with Tamarind Chutney
- 60 grams of tamarind
- a pound of jaggery
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- season with salt to taste
- [modify based on thickness] 100 mL water
What is the best way to prepare bhel puri chaat?
- To begin, wash the potatoes and boil them for 5 to 6 whistles in a pressure cooker for the fundamental preparation of bhel puri dish.
- When the potatoes have cooled somewhat, peel and chop them for subsequent use.
- Onions, tomatoes, fresh coriander leaves, and green chiles are now chopped.
- In addition, I cooked some peanuts and paprika and left some bhujia or sev for assembly.
- Now soak some dried red chile in warm water to make red chutney for bhel puri.
- Then mix them with a tablespoon of sugar, black salt, white salt, 4 to 5 garlic cloves, and a splash of water in a blender.
- Prepare a smooth red chutney paste and set it in a separate dish for assembly.
- In a blender, combine fresh coriander leaves, pudina leaves, chopped onions, green chile, and a tablespoon of minced ginger-garlic for making green chutney for bhel puri.
- Add a teaspoon of cumin seed, amchur powder (dry mango powder), a sprinkle of salt, and a splash of water to the mix.
- Blend it everything together to create a smooth green chutney.
- If the chutney gets too thick, thin it with a little water and put it away to use later.
- In a bowl, combine the tamarind and warm water to make sweet and sour tamarind chutney.
- Then squeeze each tamarind and remove the seeds, then run the mixture through a sieve to make it smooth.
- Pour the tamarind combination, jaggery, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt to taste into a pan with water.
- After that, let it boil until it thickens somewhat; check for sweetness, and if necessary, add more jaggery.
- Then put the sweet and sour tamarind chutney in a jar to keep it fresh.
- Pour puffed rice or murmura into a large mixing basin to start constructing the bhel puri dish.
- After that, combine chopped boil potatoes, tomatoes and onions, green chile, and coriander leaves in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add the tamarind, green, and red chutneys.
- A few teaspoons of bhujia or sev, fried peanuts, and roasted cumin powder, chat masala powder, and black salt are sprinkled on top.
- Now combine the ingredients.
- Finally, our bhel puri dish is ready to serve. Garnish with fried paprika from the side and serve hot as an evening snack.
Notes on Bhel Puri Recipe
- When constructing the bhel puri, take careful not to add too much chutney at once since it will get mushy; if necessary, add them after the first batch has been mixed.
- Green chutney should be kept in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for at least seven days. I recommend not using any onion while making the chutney since it will have a strong taste after 2 days.
Information on nutrition
Size of the Serving
Calories per serving: 4 Amount Per Serving Calories per Serving Calories per Serving Calories per Serving Cal 196g total fat 28g Saturated Fat Unsaturated Fat 150gTrans Fat 1g 0 mg cholesterol 5677mg sodium 297g Carbohydrates 106g fiber 57 g sugar 111g protein
Disclaimer: The data shown is based on an estimate from an online nutrition calculator. It should not be used as a replacement for the advise of a qualified nutritionist.
Bhel puri is a popular street food in India. It is made of rice, lentils, fried onions, and spices. The bhel puri recipe is typically made with bhujia or besan flour, which are ground into a paste. Reference: bhel puri recipe in hindi.
- bhel puri masala powder
- bhel puri recipe uk
- healthy bhel puri recipe