As the name implies, pork menudo refers to a traditional Mexican soup of pork, hominy, and other ingredients. It might be a little disconcerting to think of a traditional Mexican dish like menudo as a soup, but when you think about it menudo is in fact a soup. So, you could say that menudo is a soup made out of pork…
If you thought Menudo was just a meal of a sickly little kid, well, you are wrong. While Menudo is popularly known as the Mexican national dish of Tripe, it originally was a cure for digestive problems. There are different versions of Menudo; one of the oldest is the Menudo de Res (raw Menudo) which is made from beef or pig’s stomach and is served in a raw state. This is the recipe I am going to show you how to make.
Menudo is a traditional Mexican food made from beef tripe and other organs. The Spanish word for “tomato,” “tomate”, is often used to refer to the cooking liquid, which is traditionally served with the dish. The name “menudo” means something like “little death”, and is said to have come about because the dish, made with a broth made from boiled tripe, contains lots of vitamins and minerals.
This Recipe for Mexican Pork Menudo is one of Mom’s best-loved, most-enjoyed, and most-celebrated dishes. It should be mentioned, however, that individuals who have never experienced Menudo before may be apprehensive about the first time.
Menudo de Pork Tradicionario de México
For others, the texture and fragrance of this unusual and delicious fruit may be too tough or foreign to swallow. As a result, the Mexican Pork Menudo dish must be well-cooked and beautifully prepared, with a focus on appearance. A good initial impression will almost always lead to a deeper respect and knowledge of why Menudo is such a famous and traditional culinary experience throughout the globe.
Mexican Pork Menudo Recipe
Laura is the author.
Main course recipe
- Pork Belly (500 g)
- Pork Liver (100 g)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tiny carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- Tomato Sauce, 1 CUP
- Lemon Juice (1 tbsp.)
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce is a sauce made from soybeans.
- Vegetable Oil, 3 tbsp.
- 1 quart of water
- 1 cup hotdog slices
- a quarter cup of green peas
- 2 tablespoons Spreading the Liver
- To taste, brown sugar, salt, and pepper
- For an hour, marinate the pork in soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the potatoes and carrots. Drain the water and put it aside.
- Sauté the garlic and onion in the same saucepan.
- Toss in the marinated pork belly and some water. Cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Combine the pork liver and tomato sauce in a mixing bowl. Simmer until the pork and liver are cooked through.
- Combine the potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper, raisins, hotdog, sweet peas, and liver spread in a large mixing bowl. Cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Sugar, salt, and pepper to taste.
TIPS FOR MASTERING THE MENUDO RECIPE
PEPPERS WITH CHILLI
Chilli peppers are used in many Mexican dishes. The kind of chili peppers used and the quantity utilized will determine how hot the dish will be.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR SOME OF THE MENUDO RECIPE’S INGREDIENTS
- GARLIC is one of the most valuable herbs, with many nutritional advantages for human health. It has been shown to strengthen teeth and gums as well as alleviate the symptoms of rheumatism. It helps to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels in the arteries.
- Proteins, potassium, selenium, vitamins B12 and 6, niacin, and phosphorus are all found in onions. It has anti-carcinogenic properties and aids in the prevention of diabetes. It lowers cholesterol levels and improves blood clotting. Its enzymes aid in the transport of oxygen to blood cells, improving respiratory function and blood circulation. It is a diuretic that aids in the purification of the body.
Do you have any questions or suggestions about the recipe? Please leave a comment below. Also, like our Official Facebook Page for the most up-to-date Mexican Recipes. Thank you very much!
A traditional dish from the Mexican state of Oaxaca is menudo, a soup made with pork. In this recipe we use pork shoulder, but you can use any cut of meat. We will make the soup using a pressure cooker, so it will take around 30 minutes to make the soup.. Read more about menudo receta and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of meat is in menudo?
Menudo is a soup made with tripe, pork and hominy.
Is menudo a Mexican?
Yes, menudo is a Mexican dish.
What can I substitute for tripe in menudo?
You can substitute the tripe for a different type of meat, such as beef or pork.