Peppermint taffy is a candy that is made by combining lard, corn syrup, and peppermint extract. The mixture is then rolled into small balls before being coated in granulated sugar. This simple recipe yields an easy-to-make taffy that’s perfect for holiday giving or as a sweet treat to enjoy at home.
- Cooking spray that is nonstick
- 12 pound sugar
- a quarter-cup of corn syrup
- 2 tblsp butter (unsalted)
- a quarter teaspoon of salt
- 12 teaspoon peppermint oil or 34 teaspoon peppermint extract (clear)
- Food coloring in a red liquid
This basic formula may be flavored with any type of food-grade oil or extract, and the taste can be identified using food coloring.
- Butter a nonstick baking sheet lightly. Nonstick cooking spray a pair of kitchen scissors, a pair of rubber gloves, and an offset metal spatula.
- Bring the sugar, corn syrup, 14 cup water, butter, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan equipped with a candy thermometer over high heat, stirring continuously to help dissolve the sugar. Boil, stirring occasionally, until the syrup reaches 270°F.
- Turn off the heat in the pot. In a small bowl, combine the peppermint oil and the syrup. Add 2 or 3 drops of red food coloring to the syrup. To combine the oil and coloring, swirl the syrup by the handle of the pot. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet that has been prepared.
- Allow 3 minutes for the syrup to cool until a skin forms on top. Put your rubber gloves on. Continuously fold the syrup back on itself with the greased spatula until it is cold enough to handle. Pull the candy from the mass of syrup, stretching it between your hands and folding it back on itself until it is opaque but still warm, approximately 3 minutes depending on the temperature of the kitchen.
- Twist and twist the candy into a long, 34-inch-thick rope, letting it fall onto the baking sheet as you pull it. Working fast is important because the candy hardens as it cools. Â Snip the candy rope into 34-inch-long candies with the lubricated scissors. (If the candy becomes too hard to handle, break it into pieces.) Allow to cool fully.
Homemade Peppermint Taffy is a quick and easy recipe that doesn’t require any candy thermometer. Reference: taffy recipe without candy thermometer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does cornstarch do in taffy?
Cornstarch is the main ingredient in taffy, which is used to make it stretchable.
What is the difference between salt water taffy and regular taffy?
Salt water taffy is a type of taffy that contains salt. It has a slightly different texture and taste than regular taffy, which does not contain any salt.
What is taffy in America?
Taffy is a type of candy that is made with sugar, corn syrup, and sometimes gelatin. It is chewy and is often coated in chocolate or other flavors.
- how to make taffy without cornstarch
- how to make laffy taffy
- how to make taffy without corn syrup
- old fashioned salt water taffy recipe
- molasses taffy recipe