This calzone is a savory, cheesy delight. The eggplant provides a great texture, and the three cheeses are just the right amount of tangy.
The eggplant calzone seinfeld recipe is a dish made with eggplant, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. It’s usually served in the form of a calzone.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium (34 pound or 340 gram) eggplant, cut thickly (14 to 12 inch)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- One ready-to-use 34-pound pizza dough (see the recipes for rushed and leisurely dough)
- 1 cup ricotta (8 ounces or 225 grams)
- 1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella (4 ounces or 115 grams)
- â…“ a cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese (40 grams)
- oregano, dried
- 1 egg for egg wash, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, snipped
Sauce in a flash:
- 1 cup strained tomatoes (250 g)
- a quarter teaspoon of table salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- flakes of red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- a few drops of vinegar made from red wine (optional)
Although there are three cheeses in it, they do not overpower the eggplant or the crust. The sauce is served separately.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Using olive oil, coat a baking sheet. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Roast for 20 minutes, then turn and roast for 10 minutes more. Allow the eggplant to cool for a few minutes. Keep the oven on.
- Make a 12-inch circle out of the dough. Ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese should be mixed together, then seasoned with 12 teaspoon table salt, a sprinkle of dried oregano (or more to taste), and freshly ground black pepper. Combine the eggplant and cheese in a mixing bowl, then spoon it into the dough’s middle. Pull the dough’s sides over the center, crimping and pressing a seam along the centre. Using an egg wash brush, coat the exterior of the calzone.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the calzone for 15 to 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden all over.
- In a small saucepan, boil the tomatoes, salt, garlic, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes till simmering while the calzone bakes. Cook for 5 minutes on low heat, then taste for spice. Add a pinch of sugar or a few drops of red wine vinegar to taste for added sweetness or punch, and cook for another minute. Fill a small dish with the mixture.
- When the calzone is done baking, transfer it to a serving plate and cut it into big pieces. Serve with a side of sauce and chopped basil as a garnish.
The calzone dough recipe is a traditional Italian dish that is made with a yeast-risen dough, filled with one or more types of cheese and then baked.
- eggplant recipes
- calzone fillings
- mini calzones
- pizza calzone