Chicken piccata is a traditional Italian dish that is typically made with white wine and chicken, but we’re going to bring it back to basics with this keto-friendly recipe. We keep our fat content low by using grass-fed chicken thighs, so you can enjoy this dish without feeling guilty.
Easy Chicken Piccata – Keto Low Carb Lemon Chicken Recipe Easy Chicken Piccata is an Italian dish that’s traditionally made with white wine, lemon juice, chicken, and garlic. However, there are many different ways to make it. This recipe makes a delicious low carb version, and is a healthy alternative to regular chicken piccata.
The ketogenic low-carb diet highly restricts carbohydrates, which means you’ll have to eliminate many foods from your diet. This is a particularly hard challenge for people who love bread, pasta, and other baked goods. But it’s not impossible! In this article, we’ll show you how to prepare a delicious, satisfying meal using only 5 main ingredients. No fancy ingredients, no complicated steps, just simple, easy, and delicious.. Read more about lemon chicken with almond flour and let us know what you think.
This article includes affiliate links, and if you buy anything via our site, we may earn a small fee.
Lemon Chicken Piccata is a fast meal made with pan-seared chicken breasts covered in a lemony, buttery caper sauce. The chicken breasts are tender, and the sauce is acidic to perfection. Serve this family favorite over zucchini noodles or topped with a smooth sauce.
My family loves low-carb meals, and this chicken piccata is both keto-friendly and quick to prepare.
Also, this is a one-skillet dinner, which is a godsend on hectic weeknights since it means less dishes to clean.
It’s a chicken dish, and there are a plethora of methods to make chicken taste incredible, as well as a plethora of keto chicken recipes available online.
This one, though, is different from my keto lemon chicken dish, but it’s just as simple to prepare. With a side of roasted vegetables, you’ve got yourself a full weekday meal. What about the leftovers? The following day, it was much more delicious.
What is Chicken Piccata, and how do you make it?
You may be wondering what the fuss is about about Chicken Piccata. Piccata isn’t a term you’ll hear very frequently unless it’s in a recipe. The word “piccata” in Italian cuisine means “to be hammered flat.” It’s a veal slice that’s been breaded and sautéed. Piccata is traditionally prepared using veal, although chicken and pig also work well.
Pan-fried chicken cutlets in a creamy, velvety sauce prepared with lemon juice, stock or wine, butter, and capers are served.
Is Chicken Piccata a Keto-Friendly Recipe?
The original recipe calls for coating the chicken in all-purpose flour, frying it, and serving it with mashed potatoes or spaghetti, which are all high in carbs and not keto-friendly.
Simply substitute the all-purpose flour with almond flour or tapioca flour and serve with creamy cauliflower mash or roasted veggies to create low carb keto chicken piccata.
Keto Chicken Piccata Ingredients
If you like chicken, you’ll enjoy this fast and simple low-carb chicken piccata. Here’s a list of everything you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts, tenders, veal, or pork may all be used.
- One of the most important components is almond flour. It’s used to bread the chicken and aid in its golden browning. Coconut flour or tapioca flour, both gluten-free and paleo-friendly, are another flour substitute.
- Parmesan — Any shredded cheese, even the kind in the shaker bottle, will suffice.
- Because the capers are salty, use unsalted butter. This allows you to regulate the amount of salt in the dish.
- Olive Oil – Or any other mild-tasting oil. Avocado oil is a fantastic choice.
- Garlic and onion– I prefer to sautee these before preparing the sauce since they give an interesting taste.
- Dry white wine – Any dry white wine will suffice. Because the taste of the wine is largely lost when boiling the sauce, you don’t need to use an expensive wine.
- Lemon Juice — For this meal, I like freshly squeezed lemon juice, although bottled lemon juice would suffice.
- Capers – They have a lot of flavor and will enhance the dish.
The Perfect Keto Chicken Piccata Recipe
You just need to follow a few simple steps to create this wonderful Keto Chicken Piccata.
- To begin, prepare the chicken by cutting it in half lengthwise and pounding it until it is 1/2 inch thick.
- Combine the almond flour, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to make the keto breading.
- Bread the chicken by drizzling oil over it and then coating it in the flour mixture. Excess should be shaken off. I suggest putting the chicken in the fridge to ensure that the almond coating adheres to it.
- Sear the chicken in a nonstick pan with oil and butter until golden brown on both sides. Make sure the pan is hot before adding the chicken; otherwise, it may cling to the pan.
- Place the olive oil and butter in a pan to make the Piccata Sauce. Saute the onion and garlic until translucent, then add the wine and reduce by half.
- Cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens, then add the butter, lemon juice, and capers.
- Return the chicken to the pan and top with a generous amount of sauce.
Making The Best Keto Chicken Piccata Tips
- By eliminating the almond flour, you may further decrease the carbohydrates in this recipe. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and pan-sear it in a skillet if you don’t want to use almond flour.
- You may use chicken stock or, even better, chicken bone broth for the white wine. When made with dry sherry wine, this meal was fantastic.
I’m not sure what kind of chicken to use.
You may use whatever kind of chicken you want. I used chicken breasts, but keto chicken piccata thighs are also delicious!
What exactly are capers?
Capers are the unripe buds of a perennial Mediterranean shrub. The bud is then pickled in either wine, vinegar, or brine.
What’s the Best Way to Serve Chicken Piccata?
This is such a flexible chicken dish, and although we could serve it with a simple fresh green salad, here are some other delicious options:
- Cauliflower Rice – It’s crucial to note that this lemon chicken combines well with cauliflower rice.
- Roasted Veggies – Any of your favorite roasted veggies will be a hit with this chicken piccata.
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes – Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes is a dish that is delicious on its own but much better when combined with other meals.
- Keto Bread — Enjoy dipping your favorite low-carb bread into the sauce. It’s really delectable!
What Is The Best Way To Store Leftovers?
You may keep leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop when ready to eat.
Are you looking for more mouthwatering chicken recipes? Consider the following:
Pan-seared chicken breasts are covered in a lemony, buttery caper sauce in this Lemon Chicken Piccata. The chicken breasts are tender, and the sauce is acidic to perfection. Serve this family favorite over zucchini noodles or topped with a smooth sauce.
- 1 pound chicken breast, horizontally split and pounded to a thickness of 1/2 inch
- dredge with 1/2 cup almond flour or coconut flour
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- a half teaspoon of salt
- a quarter teaspoon of pepper
To prepare the lemon sauce
- 1 minced small onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- lemon juice, 2 tbsp
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- to taste with sea salt and pepper
- Optional thickener: 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
Preheat the oven to 350°F and pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/2 inch thick. Set aside the chicken after drizzling it with olive oil.
On a small dish, combine the almond flour, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and push it into place with your fingertips.
Place the butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
Fry the chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes each side, or until fully cooked, after the butter has melted.
Piccata Sauce for Chicken
For 2 minutes, saute the onion and garlic until aromatic.
Simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until the white wine has been reduced by half.
Reduce to a low heat and stir in 2 tablespoons butter, capers, and lemon juice. Stir to incorporate, then continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken. If necessary, season with salt and pepper.
Return the chicken to the pan and pour the sauce over it.
Serve the chicken piccata with a dollop of lemon sauce on top and a sprinkling of fresh parsley, if preferred.
How do we figure out how much food to eat?
The USDA Food Database nutrition information was used to calculate these nutrition facts. Our nutrition data are correct, but please double-check if you’re using other items. Because fiber and sugar alcohols do not increase blood sugar, they are subtracted from the net carb amount.
Now is the time to subscribe!
To be the first to hear about new recipes, changes, and special deals, sign up for our weekly email.
Thank you very much!
You have successfully subscribed to our our list.
FAVORITES OF READERS
The whole recipe may be found on the recipe card below. These recipes were created by readers who enjoyed this article:
Piccata is a traditional Italian dish that typically includes more ingredients than just chicken. Some of these ingredients consist of either butter, cream, or wine. However Be Wise, Piccata recipes do not necessarily include all these ingredients. This Keto Low Carb Lemon Chicken Piccata recipe is very simple but it does include butter, cream, and some wine. It is, however, still low carb and keto friendly.. Read more about atkins lemon chicken recipe and let us know what you think.