This recipe is the result of a collaboration between two bakeries in Paris, France. The croissant dough was mixed with brioche dough to create a light and airy doughnut-croissant hybrid that is perfect for breakfast or dessert.
The cronut recipe is a hybrid doughnut and croissant that has been trending for quite some time. The recipe starts with making a croissant dough, which is then filled with cinnamon-sugar mixture, dipped in egg wash, and fried.
Since you’re reading a culinary blog, I’m guessing you’ve heard of “croutons,” but just in case, here’s a quick primer.
Dominique Ansel of the Dominique Ansel bakery in New York created this developing hybrid/doughnut. It became an overnight phenomenon, and people are now waiting for hours simply to have a chance to buy one of the few valuable goods produced every day.
Part 1: How to Make the Dough for Cronuts
- 2 1/4 tablespoons dry active yeast (1 package)
- 1/2 cup of boiling water (105 degrees F.)
- 1 teaspoon salt (fine)
- 2 tblsp. white sugar, rounded (add extra if you want a sweeter “nut”)
- 1/2 gallon of milk
- 2 tblsp. butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon extract de vanille
- a single big egg
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1 pound all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 6 oz. European-style butter, soft and unsalted (12 tablespoons)
- Combine the yeast and boiling water in a mixing bowl and let aside for five minutes.
- In the European method, add the remainder of the ingredients, except the Flour and Butter, and whisk to combine.
- Knead in the flour for approximately three minutes, or until a soft, sticky dough ball forms.
- Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes after wrapping it in plastic.
- Make a rectangle out of the dough, approximately 18 by 9 inches.
- Carry on with the butter as directed!
These cronuts were cooked for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 minutes each side in grapeseed oil at 350 degrees F.
The easy croissant donuts is a recipe that combines the best of two delicious pastry recipes. It’s easy to make and tastes amazing!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cross between a doughnut and a croissant called?
What is a hybrid donut?
A hybrid donut is a doughnut that has been filled with cream and then topped with icing.
What are Cronuts made of?
Cronuts are deep fried croissant doughnuts.
- cronut recipe puff pastry
- easy cronut recipe
- dominique ansel cronut recipe
- 100 layer donut recipe
- doughnut recipe