For those of you that keep up to date with my blog, you know that I love me some Mexican food. There is just something about a good plate of burritos, tacos, enchiladas, and chili that calls out to me. I used to cook my favorite foods all the time, but lately, my workouts have been going great and I feel a little bloated. To make it better, I have been trying to eat healthier, but I have a glut of recipes in my head that I just can’t wait to make. I am trying to take the healthy things I love and make them healthier, by reducing the fat, using non-GMO ingredients, and making my own seasonings.
” Rellenos de poblanos” – are a Mexican dish made of green chiles stuffed with a white cheese. Same for “poblano rajas” (laying on the same melody, in spanish) in which green chiles are stuffed with cheese and then topped with a tomato sauce. It is a traditional dish from the Mexican state of Puebla.
Easy to prepare, these are one of the most popular dishes in Mexico, particularly in the state of Puebla. The traditional recipe calls for stuffing a whole poblano chile with cheese…
Making Chiles Rellenos is a wonderful meal for a beautiful afternoon. The Chiles Rellenos recipe is a popular Mexican meal made with fresh, mild Poblano peppers that have been filled with a delicious mixture. A delicacy from Pueblo, Mexico, in which the Chile is roasted or fried, then filled with your favorite filling and coated in your favorite batter. The peppers may be filled with a variety of meats and vegetables, but Chiles Rellenos were originally packed with cheese then coated in egg batter or breaded and fried.
Chili Rellenos Recipe Preparation
Poblano peppers are big and heart-shaped, with thick skins that make them ideal for stuffing into Rellenos. [For additional information, see our recipes for Turkey Enchilada Stuffed Poblanos Rellenos and Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers.] Poblano peppers are available in two colors: red and green. The color red is hotter than the color green. The color red gives you a bit more oomph. Green is also a gentle color. It should be served right away, topped with your favorite homemade sauce.
Ingredients for Chiles Rellenos
Recipe for Chiles Rellenos
- 4 poblanos (poblano peppers)
- 4 eggs, separated yolks and whites
- 14 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 13 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 cup jack cheese, shredded
- 12 cup corn (fresh)
- 12 cup oil (vegetable) for frying
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 chopped yellow onion
- cayenne pepper (1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 12 cup stock (chicken)
- 1 pound cored and halved Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 13 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- The peppers must first be charred. Turn up the heat on a gas stove. Turn the chiles with tongs on the burner grate until they are blackened all over, about 5-7 minutes. Alternatively, you may sear the peppers under the broiler.
- Cover the bowl firmly with plastic wrap or a baking sheet and steam for 15 minutes, or until the chiles are cool enough to handle.
- To remove as much skin as possible, gently wipe the chilies with paper towels.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the egg whites to firm peaks in a medium mixing dish. 2 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon flour, and 12 teaspoon salt in a small dish
- Put the rest of the flour on a small dish. Combine one-third of the egg whites with the two egg yolks, then carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Combine the cheese and corn in a third bowl.
- Slicing peppers open along one side removes the seeds and membranes. Slice the pepper lengthwise about two-thirds of the way through, just long enough to extract the seeds with a small spoon. Fill the peppers with the cheese mixture, carefully squeezing the cheese to keep it together.
- In a large saucepan, heat 112 cup oil over medium-high heat.
- Roll the peppers in the flour gently. By dipping and spooning the peppers in the egg batter, coat them completely. Lift the pepper and use a spoon to carefully scrape any extra batter from the bottom. Place in the heated oil and cook for 3 minutes each side, or until golden. To absorb excess oil, place on paper towels.
- Chili Relleno Tomato Sauce is used to serve Chile Rellenos. In a medium saute pan over medium heat, pour in the olive oil. Then add the onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until softened, then add the cayenne and garlic and simmer for 1 minute more, until fragrant. Bring the chicken stock, together with the tomatoes and their juice, to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the fire and let aside for a few minutes to cool. In a blender, combine the ingredients, although the sauce will not be smooth. To taste, add the cilantro, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Do you have any questions or suggestions about the recipe? Please leave a comment below. Also, like our Official Facebook Page for the most up-to-date Mexican Recipes. Thank you very much!
For the love of food, I love to experiment. And when I say experiment, I mean I like to eat. I have a weakness for good food, especially when it’s served fresh & hot off the griddle. Mexican food is my favorite cuisine, & I love to mix it up with the classic menu items of my homeland. I’ve made this recipe of Chiles Rellenos (Poblano Peppers Stuffed with Cheese) more times than I can count.. Read more about chile poblano recipe and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a chile relleno and chile poblano?
A chile relleno is a dish made with a fried poblano pepper stuffed with cheese. It is usually served as an appetizer. A chile poblano is a type of chili pepper, which has been dried and smoked over wood or other fuel.
Are chile rellenos bad for you?
Chile rellenos are not bad for you, but they are high in calories.
Why do you have to peel chile rellenos?
It is a tradition that I have to peel chile rellenos.