Authentic tandoori chicken (restaurant style)
Authentic tandoori chicken is one of the things you don’t get often enough in the UK. The traditional recipe uses a lot of spices and herbs to give the chicken its distinctive taste. I love it when I find the tandoori chicken in London and I have tried to recreate it at home.
Tandoori chicken is a variety of chicken grilled in a tandoor oven, a clay oven originating in the Indian subcontinent, which was adapted and used in the Balkans and parts of the Middle East. It is characterized by its dry texture, marked by the presence of a marinade and spices such as ginger, garlic, and turmeric. Chicken tandoori is not a specific dish, but rather a general term for any variety of grilled chicken, including chicken kebabs and chicken shawarma.
The genuine tandoori chicken is popular not only in India, but also in the United Kingdom, the United States, and other nations. Tandoori chicken is very tasty and extremely enticing when we encounter marinated chicken on restaurant menus. I’ve seen them hanging on tandoor skewers – red in color and exhibited in an enclosed glass area outdoors to entice clients — in Bangalore and Delhi. The genuine tandoori chicken must be marinated for 8 hours to overnight in spices, yoghurt, and lime juice. A classic tandoor, which can be found in virtually all Indian restaurants, is required to prepare tandoori chicken. However, we can make restaurant-style tandoori chicken at home by following the steps outlined in this recipe.
I used homemade tandoori masala — a specific spice mix that is roasted and ground – to make the most delectable tandoori chicken. In addition, I marinated the chicken with yoghurt, lime juice, Kashmiri chilies, and kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves). The flavor of tandoori chicken is greatly enhanced by marinating it. I marinated two chickens overnight to make the most luscious and juicy tandoori chicken possible. To save time, have the butcher chop the chicken for you while making tandoori chicken. It is also not difficult to do it yourself. We don’t usually have a tandoor at home, but we can achieve the same red and burnt color on chicken by frying it in the oven according to my instructions. When cooked with butter, wrapping the chicken with aluminum foil helps to keep it moist and juicy.
Tandoori chicken with salad and mint sauce or mint chutney may be served as an appetizer. Apart from appetizers, tandoori chicken pieces may be used to make tandoori chicken biryani and butter chicken (murg makhani). Boneless portions can also be used as a fillet for burgers or as a wrap with salad. In the United Kingdom, tandoori chicken pieces are used in a variety of dishes, including samosas, salads, wraps, barbeques, curries, sandwiches, and more.
Time to prepare: 40 minutes (excluding marinating time)
Time to cook: 45 minutes
North Indian cuisine
Medium spiciness with a tangy finish
- I used the leftover liquid and marinade to make butter chicken sauce. (Refer to the recipe)
- Sometimes I make the tandoori chicken ahead of time and cover it in foil; when it’s time to serve, just heat it in the oven with the foil wrap (it won’t dry out the chicken) or without (apply butter again to keep the chicken wet) until hot and serve.
- If you want to make the tandoori chicken ahead of time and have it ready the next day, skip the grilling step and instead cook until the chicken is cooked through and wrapped in foil with butter to keep it moist. When the guests arrive, simply grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, basting with butter on each side.
- Saffron (kesar) or beetroot veggie powder (available in stores) may be used as a color substitute.
- I made butter chicken using the same tandoori chicken parts that I used for the tandoori chicken.
- The tandoori chicken may be shredded and used to make wraps or sandwiches.
- Small or medium-sized fillets may be used at home.
Authentic tandoori chicken, right from the traditional Indian restaurant is a special treat for those who love to try different types of food. No doubt, most of the restaurants that have adopted the traditional version of the recipe have been found to offer the perfect tandoori chicken. One of the best examples of authentic tandoori chicken is available at the restaurant named Tintorera.. Read more about juicy tandoori chicken recipe and let us know what you think.