Rice has been one of the foods that has made a significant presence in our lives. In fact, most of the time, we can find rice in most of our dishes. Rice can be made into many different types of dishes and some of these dishes are a great pick to have in your weight loss diet. Rice will not only give you the amount of carbohydrate that you need but it will also give you a lot of nutrients that you need since it has high protein and fiber content.
This is a simple recipe for making black pepper rice, usually served with dal or steamed vegetables. You can make it with any type of rice, but I have found that if you use the parboiled rice, it is a little easier.
Every Indian has his/her own take on a traditional recipe, and some varieties are more popular than others. I do not know if I am more of a fan of the kali mirch ke dahi chawal variety, which is made with black pepper, flour and curd. I can say that it is a versatile dish that is served with all types of dishes, and is best served with roti.
Curd rice with black pepper and garlic was a childhood favorite of mine, and we called it Dahi Ghutti in my house. It is made in Anantapur and other parts of Andhra Pradesh, but I have mainly seen it prepared at my home and in the homes of my relatives. I vividly recall my youth, when we used to go by train for great distances. We used to carry curd rice and lemon rice with chips and pickle, and sometimes chapati or roti since they don’t get stale quickly. If it’s a hot summer, curd rice would become sour, so my mother used to add milk and a little curd so that fermentation would proceed longer and it wouldn’t turn sour. For me, the mix of black pepper and garlic is plenty. If the curd rice becomes too dry to consume, add a little water. We always try to avoid eating food that has already been prepared and is cold, and we also consider what would happen if appropriate food was not available.
Curd rice (thayir sadam in Tamil, daddojanam in Telugu) is a popular south Indian dish and one of my favorite comfort meals, particularly in the summer. This curd rice is one of my favorites, and it’s very refreshing in the heat since it helps regulate our body temperature and stomach. Because it is eaten cold, you may take it for a lunch box, a picnic, or a road trip. It is extremely simple to prepare. If you’re taking curd rice for a trip or a picnic during the heat, use more milk and less curd, since it will curd after a few hours. If you just add curd and leave it for a long period, the curd will get sour. Because I live in London, my curd never goes sour after a few hours due to the cold, but I still use both curd and milk. Curd rice goes well with lime or mango pickles, as well as potato chips. It’s a really easy dish to make, but it’s wonderful to eat.
Time to prepare: 10 minutes
Time to cook: 10 minutes
2 to 3 people
rice to be cooked
- 1 cup rice (uncooked)
- 4 cups water
- a pinch of salt (to taste)
- 2 cups of curd
- 1/2 cup water
Paste with coarse particles
- 6–7 garlic cloves (large, skinned)
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- a pinch of salt (to taste)
- To make a coarse paste, combine the black peppercorns and garlic cloves with a pinch of salt. Set it aside for now.
- Cook the rice until it is mushy and extremely soft (creamy texture). It should have the consistency of risotto rice or rice pudding, depending to your preference. Allow time for cooling.
- In a dish, combine the curd, water, and salt to taste. To avoid lumps, gently whisk the mixture with a fork. Set it aside for now.
- In a large mixing basin, combine the rice and curd. Mix thoroughly.
- Toss the rice and curd mixture with the ground paste. Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture. If necessary, taste and adjust the salt. It may be served right away or refrigerated for later use.
- It has a creamy texture, a smooth texture, is peppery, and is pleasant to eat.
- Serve with simple potato chips, lime pickle, or quick mango pickle.
- If it gets too thick after refrigerating, add additional curd and water or milk to taste.
- To taste, increase or decrease the amount of pepper corns and garlic cloves.
- Salt to taste, keeping in mind that rice and black pepper paste contain salt.
Today I am writing about the easiest way to make the most delicious and flavorful curd rice in your home. It is a quick and easy recipe that does not require any sort of fermentation and can be prepared in no time. Ingredients (1 cup each): Black gram (kala chana) – 1 cup Doodhi/Dahi (yogurt) – 2 cups Rice (Kabuli) – 1 cup Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 tbls Salt – as per taste Radish (Salep) – as per taste Amchur (dried mango powder) – 1 tbls (optional) Method: 1. Wash the rice 2. Soak the rice in water for 2 hours 3.. Read more about curd rice and let us know what you think.