Scalloped Oyster Plant is a succulent plant that can be grown in pots or as a houseplant. It is also known as the “money plant” because it produces clusters of large, shiny leaves that resemble coins.
Scalloped oyster stuffing is a dish that consists of scalloped oysters, bread crumbs, and butter.
- 1 pound salsify, peeled and chopped into 2-inch pieces after being cleaned, trimmed, and peeled
- 2 liters cold water + 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (acidulated water)
- 4 tblsp. (12 tblsp.) butter
- 3 tblsp flour (all-purpose)
- 12 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 14 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 14 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- a third of a cup of half-and-half or light cream
- a third of a gallon of milk
- 3 tblsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup finely crumbled soft bread
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely ground
- 1 tblsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
Salsify discolors as soon as it is sliced, so get it into the acidulated water as soon as possible. If you cook it in an aluminum pan, it will become gray, so use a nonreactive pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Set aside a shallow 1-quart baking dish or gratin pan that has been buttered.
- To retain the salsify’s country-cream color, place it in a large nonreactive dish, add the acidulated water, and soak for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonreactive saucepan, bring 12 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil. Drain the salsify, place it in a pot of boiling water, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until firm-tender. Drain thoroughly and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices.
- Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes after adding the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring continuously, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened and smoothed. Stir in the Parmesan cheese for a minute or two, or until it has melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and adjust as required.
- Toss the salsify with the sauce and place it in the baking dish. Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle equally over the salsify.
- Place the baking dish on the middle oven rack and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve immediately as a side dish to any roasted meat or poultry.
The scalloped oyster plant is a succulent with edible leaves. It is commonly used in the preparation of scalloped oysters. Reference: scalloped oysters recipe.
- scalloped oyster appetizer
- scalloped oysters
- creamy scalloped oyster casserole
- scalloped oysters history
- pioneer woman scalloped oysters