Halibut is a type of fish that can be prepared in many different ways. One way to prepare halibut is to poach it in wine and cream. The dish has the consistency of a risotto, with the flavor from the tarragon sauce.
Poached halibut with creamy white wine and tarragon sauce is a recipe that will have you coming back for seconds. The dish is easy to make and the flavors are amazing.
- 1 leaf of bay
- a few fresh thyme sprigs
- 12 teaspoon peppercorns (black)
- 12 lemon slices (cut into rounds)
- a generous amount of rock salt
- 4 halibut fillets, skinless and boneless, 5 oz. each
Sauce with white wine and tarragon:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely minced
- 12 cup white wine, dry
- 14 quarts of fish stock
- 1 quart of thick cream
- to taste lemon juice
- a handful of chopped fresh tarragon leaves
The delicate taste of halibut pairs well with this creamy white wine and tarragon sauce.
- Make the sauce first. In a medium skillet, heat the oil and add the shallots along with some salt. 5–6 minutes to soften the shallots without browning them. Allow the white wine to deglaze the pan and boil until it is completely dry.
- Bring the fish stock to a boil, then decrease it by half. Finally, pour in the cream, return to a boil, and simmer until the sauce has thickened but is still pourable. Using a strainer, strain the liquid into a clean pan. Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice, and keep heated. Just before serving, toss in the tarragon leaves.
- To poach the halibut, combine all of the aromatics in a big pot with half-filled water. Bring the water to a boil. Â Reduce the heat to a low level and keep it there. Salt and pepper the fish before lowering it into the liquid. Poach the fish for 8–10 minutes, or until it is opaque and firm.
- Using a slotted spatula, carefully remove the halibut fillets and wipe dry with paper towels. Place the fish on warmed plates and drizzle with the white wine and tarragon sauce.
The red wine poached halibut is a dish that is cooked with red wine and tarragon sauce. It is then served on top of mashed potatoes.
- cooking fish in white wine
- poached halibut in broth
- poached halibut in oven
- poached halibut bon appétit
- halibut recipes