I don’t know how I feel about General Tso’s Chicken. Is it tasty? Yes. It’s also made with processed pork – and I’m not a fan. I’ve been focused on eating more natural food lately, and there’s a ton of processed meats that get my attention – bacon, ham, bologna, hot dogs, chicken – even things like sausage and lunchmeat. But General Tso’s Chicken? That’s one of my guilty pleasures.
General Tso’s Chicken is a low carb recipe that is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party. This Chinese takeout favorite is incredibly easy to make, and so flavorful.
This keto general tso’s chicken recipe is a healthy low carb alternative to the usual family favorite. The first time I made this dish was when my family visited me here in the states. We have a few Chinese food restaurants in the area, but none of them had General Tso’s chicken, so I decided to make it at home. I love that a lot of food is low carb, but I don’t love being unhealthy. So, I decided to try and make a healthy version of it. The best part is that it’s still delicious and you don’t have to feel guilty about eating it.. Read more about carbs in general tso chicken no rice and let us know what you think.
Keto General Tso Chicken – Made with tender chicken and a spicy-sweet sauce served over steamed broccoli or cauliflower rice, this low carb general tso chicken is a traditional Chinese takeaway meal that is far better than any restaurant for a great weekday supper.
Is it OK to eat General Tso Chicken on a Keto Diet?
Of course, with just 4-5 grams of net carbohydrates, the simple low carb general tso chicken we’re cooking today is completely keto-friendly. I already posted the regular version (check it out), which is high in carbohydrates.
What is the Keto General Tso Chicken Sauce?
Normally, we add ketchup, hoisin sauce, and other high-sugar, high-carb ingredients; to make it a keto-friendly meal, we just substitute a few items:
- I used coconut aminos, but you could also use low-carb soy sauce, tamari sauce, or liquid aminos (which is again a great soy sauce substitute)
- Hoisin sauce — Use the low-carb variety or leave it out entirely.
- I’m using the Stevia Sweetened Classic Tomato Ketchup in this recipe (buy it here)
- Fish sauce — I like the taste of this one, although Thai chili sauce may be substituted.
- Use swerve sweetener, monk fruit sweeteners, or any other sweetener of your choice as a brown sugar replacement. (Click here to purchase)
Can I make this Keto General Tso’s Chicken ahead of time?
Yes, this low carb general tso chicken dish can be meal prepped in your spare time. Combine all of the ingredients, cut the veggies, and store in airtight containers.
Can this low-carb General Tso Chicken with Broccoli be frozen?
Yes, prepare them in batches and store the chicken and broccoli separately in sealed containers for up to 3 months in the refrigerator or freezer. When you’re ready to eat, reheat them for a few minutes in the microwave or on a skillet and enjoy them straight away.
What Should I Serve With Keto Chinese General Tso’s Chicken?
I prefer to serve it with cauliflower rice, steamed or roasted broccoli, zucchini, or any other low-carb vegetable of your choice. Also, check out my keto orange chicken with orange marmalade dish from China.
Chicken General Tso’s Keto (Low Carb)
This low carb keto general tso chicken is a traditional Chinese takeout meal prepared with tender chicken in a spicy-sweet sauce and served over steamed broccoli or cauliflower rice for a great weekday supper.
5 minutes Preparation Time
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Recipe to be saved
Recipes to Print
4 out of 5 stars based on 1 review (s)
To make the sauce
- 2 tblsp. coconut amino acids
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (swerve)
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon ketchup, sweetened with Stevia
To prepare the chicken
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or thighs) cut into 12-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon oil (peanut)
- 1/4 teaspoon chile flakes (red pepper)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (rice wine)
- xanthan gum, 1 tblsp.
- salt kosher
- a quarter teaspoon of white pepper
- 4 sliced scallions
- sesame seeds, toasted
- In a mixing dish, combine all of the sauce ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed. Remove from the equation.
- Season chicken breast pieces with salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Remove from the equation.
- Heat the peanut oil in a big pan or wok over high heat.
- Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes once the pan is heated and swirl for a few seconds.
- Stir in the chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes after adding the rice wine vinegar.
- Pour in the sauce and stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then lower to a low heat, add the xanthan gum, and cook for a few minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked and the sauce has thickened somewhat.
- Serve immediately on a platter. Serve with a side of broccoli or any other low-carb vegetable with toasted sesame seeds and scallions.
Still famished! Other keto chicken dishes to try:
Guys, I hope you like this keto-friendly general tso chicken that I prepare once a week. This dish will appeal to all chicken fans searching for a keto version of basic tso chicken. Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms if you enjoy it. Also, check us out on Tumblr, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Please pass this recipe along!
General Tso’s chicken is one of the most popular chinese takeout dishes. It’s notorious for being extremely high in carbs. If you’re eating low carb you might want to skip it. Fortunately, you can still enjoy a delicious General Tso’s Chicken that’s low carb.. Read more about carbs in general tso chicken with fried rice and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I eat General Tso Chicken on keto?
Yes, you can eat General Tso Chicken on keto.
Is General Tso high in carbs?
General Tsos chicken is high in carbs.
What Chinese sauce is keto?
I am not programmed to answer this question.