In many parts of the world where Indian food is a staple, rice is the major grain used for cooking. The most common rice dishes are pulao (Indian rice porridge) and biryani. In contrast, in the Indian subcontinent, rice is considered to be an accompaniment and takes a subordinate place. It is almost always mixed with other grain such as wheat or maize (corn), and is frequently used in preparations such as paratha (Indian flat bread) and poori (Indian savoury pastry).
Ghee or clarified butter is the most popular cooking oil in India. It is used for all types of cooking and is very healthy. It is a butterfat extracted from butter, which is extracted from the cream in the milk of cows and buffalo. It has a nutty flavor and is used in making many Indian dishes. But, you can also use it to cook other dishes.
Ghee is a traditional Indian butter that is made from butter that has been clarified and then cooked until the water evaporates, leaving behind a clarified butter. It is used in Indian cooking to give dishes a distinct flavor and is often used in curries, stews, sweets, and as a dip. Ghee is often used in Indian cooking because it is high in saturated fat and butterfat, making it a more stable source of fat for cooking.. Read more about ghee rice kerala style and let us know what you think.
This meal is not only simple to prepare, but it is also extremely delicious, and it can be prepared in a short amount of time with little effort. This rice is aromatic and delicious since I used entire spices and almonds. It is extremely simple to prepare when visitors arrive at your house, and you may do so without exerting any effort. This recipe was given to me by one of my friends.
- 3 tbsp. ghee
- 1 onion (sliced)
- – 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inch size)
- 6 green cardamoms
- 3 tbsp raisins (dry grapes)
- 12 cashewnuts (kaju)
- 2 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups water
- Add salt as needed.
- Preheat the vessel and add the ghee. When the ghee has melted and become heated, add the onions first and cook them till they are brown and tender. Add the entire spices and mix well for a few seconds.
- Now add the raisins and kaju (split in half or whole), stir until gently browned and roasted, taking care not to burn the raisins. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Now add the washed rice that has been soaked in water for 20 minutes, mix it for a minute or two, then add water as needed, since we will be cooking the rice in that water alone.
- Allow the rice to simmer for a few minutes; you’ll see that it absorbs water and the grains of rice grow longer as it cooks.
- When the water is reduced or absorbed, holes appear in the rice, but only a little amount of liquid remains.
- Cook the rice on a low heat with the lid closed until it is fully cooked and fluffy. It will take 10 minutes, so turn it off and wait. You may separate the grains using a fork.
- Serve with raitha and your favorite curry.
- If the water in the midst of the cooking process has been absorbed, add a little more water and continue to cook.
- When the rice is uncooked and the water is present, you may mix the rice in between so that the nuts are equally distributed throughout.
- You can cook the rice with just whole spices, and it will still taste delicious.
- You may cook the cashews and raisins separately and then mix them in with the rice when it’s done.
- Thinly slice the onions and cook them till light brown, like we do for biryani.
When I was growing up, there was one dish my Grandma used to make frequently. It used to be her go-to for any time she needed to braise meat. It was a rice dish, that was not too spicy, but was very flavorful. The dish I am talking about was called “ghee fried rice” and was basically a rice dish that was cooked in ghee. Ghee is a type of clarified butter that is made by heating butter until the milk solids are completely melted, and then allowing it to cool. It can be found in Indian markets.. Read more about curry for ghee rice and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is ghee rice good for health?
Ghee is a clarified butter and rice is a type of food.
Can I use ghee instead of butter in rice?
Yes, you can use ghee instead of butter in rice.
Why is ghee added to rice?
Ghee is a clarified butter that can be added to rice dishes for flavor and texture.