Cucumber pickles are a delicious and healthy way to enjoy cucumbers. They’re easy to make, requiring only salt, water, vinegar, sugar, and cucumbers!
Pickle Stix are cucumber sticks that have been pickled in a vinegar, salt, and sugar mixture. They are then soaked in water for about an hour before being dusted with corn starch to prevent them from sticking together.
- 22 Kirby cucumbers, each measuring about 5 inches in length (approximately 5 pounds)
- 3 quarts water that has been brought to a boil
- 1 gallon apple cider vinegar
- 3 quarts of sugar
- 3 tbsp. salt for pickling
- celery seeds, 2 tblsp
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- a quarter teaspoon of mustard seeds
The tiny Kirbies or pickled cucumbers, which are seldom waxed, are the ones to use.
- Using cold water, scrub the cucumbers well, then trim, cut into 412-inch pieces, and quarter each piece lengthwise.
- In a big, heavy kettle, place the cucumber sticks, pour the boiling water, cover, and set aside for 4 to 5 hours.
- When you’re ready, wash and clean 6 one-pint preserving jars, as well as their lids, and place them in a big pot of boiling water.
- In a small, heavy nonreactive saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seeds, turmeric, and mustard seeds; bring to a boil over moderate heat, then lower to low and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, remove the preserving jars from the boiling water one at a time and fill them with cucumber sticks, standing them on end and packing them as firmly as possible.
- Fill each jar halfway with the boiling vinegar mixture, covering the cucumber sticks fully but leaving a 14-inch headspace at the top. To remove trapped air bubbles, run a thin-blade spatula over the interior of the jar; wash the jar rim with a clean, wet towel, then screw on the lid.
- In a boiling water bath (212° F.), process the jars for 10 minutes. Remove from the water bath, tighten the lids if required to complete the seals, and cool to room temperature.
- Date and label each jar, then keep for several weeks on a cold, dark shelf before opening.
Cucumber sticks are cut into thin strips and soaked in a vinegar solution. The pickles are then placed in jars with cucumbers, salt, sugar, garlic cloves, and water. Reference: where do pickles come from.
- pickle sticks recipe
- pickle stix surfboards
- how are pickles made
- homemade dill pickles
- types of pickles