In the 21st century, mac ‘n’ cheese is a staple food for many people. It has been around for centuries and is still loved by many today.
The splendid table mac and cheese is a recipe that will have you craving for more. It’s the perfect side dish to any meal.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, add 3 quarts salted water.
- 12 pound imported elbow macaroni or penne pasta (2 cups)
- a single big egg
- 1 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk
- 1 garlic clove, tiny
- a quarter of a medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 5 oz. crumbled cream cheese
- shredded Gruyère, Appenzeller, or Manchego cheese, 1/3 cup (3 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, generous
- 18 teaspoon salt is a generous amount.
- 18 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 14 teaspoon sweet paprika (Hungarian or Spanish), generous
- 3 tblsp butter (unsalted)
- 12 coarsely crushed saltines
Choose from milk, half-and-half, or heavy cream to make this as rich as you want.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Place the macaroni or penne in the pot. Cook, tossing often, until the pasta is cooked but still firm to the bite. Drain the water in a colander.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the cooked macaroni to a shallow 112-quart baking dish that has been buttered.
- Combine the egg, milk, and garlic in a blender or food processor. 3 seconds of processing Blend for 10 seconds, or until the onion is chopped into tiny bits and the ingredients are mixed, adding the onion, cheeses, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, and paprika as needed. Fold the mixture into the macaroni in the baking dish. (At this stage, the casserole may be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)
- If the casserole has been refrigerated, bring it to room temperature before baking. In a small skillet, melt the butter, then add the saltine crumbles and toss to coat. Cover the top of the casserole with them. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sauce is thick but still creamy. If the top of the casserole isn’t golden brown, place it in the broiler for a minute. Remove it from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes before serving.
21ST-CENTURY MAC ’N’ CHEESE is a recipe that has been around for decades. It’s no boil mac and cheese, made with just three ingredients, but it’s still creamy and cheesy.
- southern mac and cheese
- macaroni cheese recipe
- stovetop mac and cheese